Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

Nous Marchons (we walk)

Today was our one full day in Lyon, and we're already sorry we're not staying longer. Some day we will come back here and we still stay in this apartment. My only complaint is that the street we are on (Rue Romarins) seems to be the go-to place for loud, young groups of people around 3am. Thank goodness we brought ear plugs.

After we had our coffee in the apartment this morning, we headed to the bakery run by my new-most-favorite-person-in-the-world, and got breakfast: a chaussure de pomme (apple shoe) for Wayne and a pain au chocolat et frangipane (chocolate croissant with sweet nut paste) for me.

From there we headed South. We are staying on a peninsula between the Rhone and Saone rivers.
The Musee des Tissus (Fabric Museum) is towards the Southern tip where the two rivers meet.









I took a few photos on the way...



















We found the Museum des Tissus which is connected to the Musee de Beaux Artes (decorative arts). Some of the exhibits were closed, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the museum and the range of pieces. It had a fair number of full garments and 2 scale models of complex looms in addition to the many tapestries and fragments of textiles.




Sadly, we were not allowed to take photos in either museum, but I did purchase a guide to the collection, and just around the corner was a silk shop that, if I understood the signs on the windows, the family has been in business in Lyon since 1660. They had a list of all the ancestors, which part of Lyon they were in and which era.


 After the museum we headed back towards the apartment, thinking we would stop for coffee for Wayne and something to eat for me. We ended up back at, yep, you guessed it, the boulangerie. I had noticed some really tasty looking quiche this morning, and we had cheese we brought with us from Marseille. and there were those evil little tasty tarts, too...
Fresh baguette, quiche Lorraine, chocolate tart and raspberry tart
 I've already told Wayne I'm going to track down this man and offer myself as his slave in return for a lifetime supply of his pastries. I'm afraid I'd be coming out far ahead on that deal...




No comments:

Post a Comment