Search This Blog

Monday, August 21, 2017

Pretty sure it's too late to change my mind...

This morning I made the final selections and sign and initialed a few dozen papers. It's exciting and scary and emboldening.
I changed my mind about 200 times, fretting over colors and finishes and appliances. I've worked up a spreadsheet and my Pinterest account has seen more activity in the past 3 weeks than all the years I've had it. I can't imagine how overwhelming this is for someone who's never owned a house and knows nothing about home building.
One of things I love about having a new house built is that I'm able to add electrical outlets and light fixtures where ever I like. Especially good for the rooms I'm using for my studio.

Decisions I made:
Hardwood floors (technically engineered hardwood floors). I know tile is more durable and vinyl planking is easy to care for and replace damaged sections, but I like the look and feel of real wood.
Ideally, I'd have a Craftsman-style house, and that's the feeling I hope to exude in my new home.

Stainless steel appliances: I went back and forth on this, but ultimately it was the double-oven range that's only offered in stainless that made the choice for me. I would have preferred gas, but none of the new communities around here are running gas, and if they did, the added cost would have priced me out.

Range hood instead of a microwave/hood combo: I was all set to get the lovely, feature-filled microwave that would sit over the range. I like the one in my apartment, but then the hood isn't vented outside, so it's pretty useless. I got all excited about one that has a steam feature. Then I thought to myself "would I really steam anything in the microwave?" As it is, I only use it to heat things up and melt butter for crepe batter. Then I realized that a high-CFM vent would be far better for me. I can cook more 'smelly' things inside and not worry about the entire place smelling of it.

As much as I've like living in this complex, I'm looking forward to moving to my own place. Other than putting up shelves and ceiling fans, there won't be anything I'll have to do right away. I can take my time painting rooms and settling in. I'm excited about having a garden again, and already thinking about what vegetables to start with. First thing, though, will be to plant some trees. There isn't a single one in the entire subdivision since is was an agricultural field (there's still corn growing in the next one over)


No comments:

Post a Comment