Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Perfect Travel Coat?

I sure hope so!

I just finished making up Butterick 5685. The pattern called for traditional coat fabric, but I wanted this coat to be the perfect travel coat. For me that means somewhat water repellant, lightweight, fast-drying, compressible and cozy enough to double as a blanket on the plane/train trips.
I bought a high quality polar fleece from Seattle Fabrics in a slightly textured black. For lining I used a gorgeous paisley print silk twill I bought from MS Schmalberg for $5 a yard on a garment district fabric shopping trip with the wonderful Marsha McClintock in 2010. The two color shell buttons I bought at the ASDP conference in San Francisco in 2005.

I added a zippered pocket to the inside left facing for passport and money, but otherwise used the pattern as is. I pretty much ignored the sewing instructions since other folks had said they were confusing at best.

I'm really happy with how it turned out, though it is a little snug across the back shoulders. I am seriously considering replacing the back lining with stretch silk. The fleece has plenty of give, but the silk I used has none. Live and learn. In any case, it fulfills all my requirements and is pretty darn stylish, if I do say so myself...


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, for sure. I fully understand about the idea of replacing the back lining. I lined my cashmere/wool blend coat with a silk twill, and although I don't have the stretch issue you found, I find it doesn't have enough slipperiness for me - especially in the sleeves. Makes it hard to get into the coat - and to slide onto a car seat.

    ReplyDelete