Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Upcycled Chanel Jacket

My last post showed the first steps of a new Chanel jacket. The original garment was a swing coat my aunt wore in the 60's, probably made by my grandmother. The fabric is a gorgeous classic: a very loose weave mohair houndstooth in off-white and black:

I decide the only way to reuse this fabric was a classic Chanel jacket. I used Susan Khalje's method featured in Threads Magazine issue 121.
I was able to cut the jacket body out with problems, but did have to piece both the upper and under sleeves. I've been watching a lot of Mad Men lately, so decided to go with a shorter sleeve, which I believe is called bracelet length. The sleeves ended up being the same length as the jacket.




I combined purchased trim with torn strips of black silk charmeuse that I ran through the ruffler on the 830LE:



And here's the (almost) finished jacket. (I still need to finish the lining at the top of one sleeve and add the chain along the bottom. I'll probably add pockets as well.  What do you think? the classic 2 large and one small? Cut on grain or on the bias?


Decisions, decisions.

Happy Sewing!
Juliette

2 comments:

  1. That turned out beautiful! Your projects inspire me.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jacket! Love the silk charmeause idea with the trim. Softens to match the weave of the jacket. Love it.Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete